Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Whiskey Wednesday draws near...

...and it will be dedicated both to the death of Bin Laden, and to the fact that my family members survived the tornado in Tuscaloosa. I have no idea how much I'll drink, and what I might say as I am also thinking about those people in Tuscaloosa who went to their safe places only to be found lifeless under the rubble later. Happy and sad all in one moment. How can I live this way? Why Whiskey Wednesday, of course.

My mother was a drinker, and she didn't wait until a designated day.  Every day was Wednesday for her. I hated her for it...but the more I look back, the more I wonder if she didn't just need what I need. A chance not to feel anything for just a few minutes.

I tried to concentrate on Usama Bin Laden's demise, but I couldn't. If that tornado had turned the other way, my daughter and grandsons, cowering in the hallway of their small brick house, would have been hurt, or worse. My brother's house was damaged, but passed over for the most part. I told them that I was totally exhausted from the concentration it took to push that storm away from them. It made them laugh. Hey, it's hard times down here. Just about anything might be funny at anytime. Or not.

Anyhoo, this blog feels more like a letter to my sister. Please indulge me until the shock of last Wednesday has passed.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment